as a retreat for the British armymen and their families in 1842 this
cantonment, Kasauli, houses some of the most tastefully done buildings
reminiscent of the erstwhile English architecture. Prominent among
these are Christ Church and the Chapel of Lawrence School, Sanawar,
built on a spur amidst the placid environs.
Located near the town?s bus stand, Christ Church stands out as a magnificent creation drawing the visitor?s attention with its imposing appearance. A grove of chestnut and fir trees surround this 159-year-old structure. Built in the shape of a cross, the church was built by the British families who also laid the foundation of Kasauli town in 1842. About 30 families, belonging to the Protestant sect of Christians, worship here besides the tourists visiting the town. This historic church was previously under the organisation of the Church of England when it was known as Anglican Church. In the year 1970, it was taken up under the organisation of the CNI (Churches of North India)and is presently managed by the diocese of Amritsar.
A visit to this cathedral enthrals one with spiritual and mental peace which seems to pervade every nook and corner of the church. As the priest exclaims, ?The church is a beautiful piece of the 19th century architecture where visitors feel the presence of God everywhere?.
The other cathedral is located amidst the salubrious environs of Lawrence School, Sanawar, about 5 km from Kasauli. Located on a spur, the grey stone structure with fittings of cedar pine emulates a pointed gothic architecture style. Designed by Rev William John Parker in 1850, it was completed a year later.